Using oil in your belly button is actually a technique called the “Pechoti Method“ or “Naval Oiling“.
It is based on the concept that your body can absorb substances through your belly button. This is done through the Pechoti gland inside your naval area.
In Ayurvedic medicine, this gland is believed to be the focal point of over 72000 veins, nerves and tissues of the body. It is considered to be a point in the body for Ayurvedic healing. Also according to the Ayurvedic Principles, the Pechoti gland is connected to the digestive, respiratory, reproductive and nervous systems.
A similar technique is also used in Chinese medicine. Herbs and other medicines are ground with vinegar into a fine paste. The paste is then applied to the belly button to be absorbed into the body.
Benefits Of Using Oil In Your Belly Button
Naval oiling or the Pechoti Method is said to potentially have many health benefits. These usually include:
- Improved digestion: this method is said to improve digestion, relieve constipation and bloating, and promote the absorption of nutrients.
- Stress Relief: The Pechoti gland is said to be connected to the nervous system. By stimulating it with oil, you can promote relaxation, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve overall mental health.
- Better Immunity: This method is also said to boost the immune system. It also improves circulation and promotes the elimination of toxins from the body.
- Improved Skin Health: The oils and other substances used to nourish the skin, promote cell regeneration, and prevent premature aging.
- Weight Loss: Some people believe that this method can help to speed up metabolism. It is also supposed to ease digestive distress. Both of these things promote weight loss.
How To Use Oil In Your Belly Button
- Cleanse and dry your belly button area well. Make sure that your hands and fingers are also clean.
- If you are using essential oils, make sure that they are well-diluted with a carrier oil. This is to avoid chemical burns or injuries to your skin. Essential oils are very concentrated and too strong for direct application to the skin
- Lie down somewhere flat where you are comfortable and can relax
- Place a few drops of your oil into your belly button.
- Gently massage the area in a circular motion for 10-15 minutes or until the oil has absorbed
- You can massage the oil and your belly button area for as long as you want but keep it gentle. If you experience pain and discomfort that is unmanageable, then stop massaging the area or use gentler motions.
- When the oil has been absorbed, you can go about your day as normal. But, avoid showering for at least 1-2 hours after the treatment
You can use oil in your belly button every day.
Many people do it at night just before bed. Some others do it twice every day – once when they wake up and once before bed.
It all depends on what effect you are hoping for and how much time you have to do this every day.
Side Effects Or Risks Of Using Oil In Your Belly Button
Like all skincare techniques, the major concerns with naval oiling are generally irritation and allergic reactions.
If you use oils and other substances that you are allergic to, or that are too concentrated and strong for your skin, you will have a reaction.
You can see bumps, redness, swelling, and itchiness. You may even get some pain. If any of these things happen, clean your belly button properly. You will need to either stop using this method or re-evaluate the composition of what you are putting on your skin.
What The Science Says
The Pechoti Method is an Aryuvedic and general herbal medicinal practice. However, our good old science experts decided to take a stab at it to see whether it can be proved.
No scientific or clinical evidence proves that the Pechoti Gland exists. It is also not proven that you can really absorb oils and other substances through your belly button.
However, many people swear by this technique. Is it a “mind-over-matter” thing or does it actually work? I guess we will find out. But the good thing is that when done correctly, this method is not known to be harmful to you.