Are there such things as the best essential oils for armpits?
Yes, there are.
Essential oils have been included in skincare for ages and many of them pack a serious punch when used correctly.
However, not all of them can be used in all areas of your skin. Here is everything you need to know about using essential oils for your armpits.
Can You Use Essential Oils On Your Armpits?
You cannot use pure, undiluted essential oils on your underarms. The essential oil has to be mixed and/or diluted.
Essential oils are usually very strong and concentrated. They are too harsh to be used directly on your skin, especially your underarms.
Remember that the skin of your underarms is usually thinner and much more sensitive than elsewhere on your body.
Applying undiluted essential oils directly to the armpits may cause irritation, blisters, burns, and darkening of the skin.
Related Article – 10 Quick & Easy DIY Natural Remedies For Smelly Armpits
How to Use Essential Oil For Armpits
Essential oils are usually added to other underarm treatments in drops and then applied to the underarms.
Essential oils are usually added to underarm sprays, underarm masks, underarm moisturizers, and natural underarm deodorants.
I will share with you some simple DIY Recipes, so keep on reading.
Related Articles –
Benefits of Essential Oils for Armpits
Many people use essential oils in an attempt to treat underarm darkness, but many more people use them to help with body odor.
Some essential oils are better to deal with odor whilst some are ideal to help lighten and improve dark underarms.
Essential oils contain antibacterial properties that prevent odor-producing bacteria from overpopulation. You see most essential oils have the ability to prevent or limit the growth of bacteria, yeast, and mold.
Best Essential Oils For Armpit Odor
Essential oils that are antibacterial have been used for a long time to prevent the spread of “bad” bacteria that produce odor.
These essential oils are renowned for having inherently freshening qualities that keep you smelling good:
1- Tea Tree Oil
This oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which make it an effective natural deodorant. It has been described to have a fresh, camphor-like scent.
Handcraft has affordable yet really nice essential oils, which is why they are one of the most popular brands.
Now for some great deodorants that can actually help to lighten dark armpits check out:
2- Rosemary Oil
It helps to reduce tissue inflammation and is thought to fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains. Rosemary oil is described as having an energizing, evergreen, citrus-like, herbaceous scent.
3- Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil contains menthol which is an excellent antiseptic agent. Peppermint is also antimicrobial and antiviral in nature. It is described as having an intense minty scent.
4- Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is gentle and antimicrobial in nature. It helps to reduce inflammation and is a universally popular scent. It is described as having the typical lavender floral scent that is sweet, light, and fresh.
5- Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil has great antibacterial properties, is a natural insect repellent, reduces inflammation, and is used in aromatherapy to reduce stress and anxiety. It is described as having a very strong fresh, lemony, grassy, earthy, and sweet scent.
6- Bergamot Oil
Bergamot oil has a refreshing scent and is great for skin disorders. It effectively unclogs pores and balances out oily skin. It is described as having a sunny and pleasant citrus scent.
7- Sage Oil
Sage oil has excellent antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also helps to reduce eruptive skin conditions. It is described as having an earthy scent that is robust and sharp.
8- Parsley Oil
The deodorizing effect of the chlorophyll in parsley is known to neutralize body odor. Parsley also has antiseptic, antimicrobial, and astringent properties. It is described as having a sweet, warm, spicy scent.
9- Radish Seed Oil
Radish seed oil is effective both as an underarm and foot deodorant. It makes for an excellent moisturizer and helps to reduce free-radical damage and can be used to combat fungal infections. It is described as having a bitter, peppery scent.
Best Essential Oils To Lighten Armpits
1- Turmeric Oil
Curcumin, the main active ingredient in turmeric, is a powerful anti-inflammatory. It is believed to moderate the excess melanin production that often is the cause for dark spots.
Turmeric is also known to work well as an antibacterial, antiparasitic, and antifungal. Turmeric oil is said to have a warm, earthy, woody scent.
2- Sandalwood Oil
This has a soothing and nourishing effect that helps to heal and fade facial acne scars. It prevents tyrosinase production and also acts as an antiseptic that fights skin problems.
Along with this, it has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it a perfect solution for your hyperpigmentation issues.
Sandalwood oil is described as having a deep, woody scent that smells like a mix of floral, rich, balsamic, soft, and sweet accents
3- Carrot Seed Oil
Carrot seed oil is rich in beta carotene, which protects the skin from damage from UV rays and is often used as an ingredient in sunscreens.
If you’re dealing with hyperpigmentation, it’s really important to protect your skin.
Its Vitamin A action also helps with skin cell turnover. Carrot seed oil is said to have a dry, sweet-woody, root-like, and earthy scent with tenacious wet earth, fatty/oily, slightly spicy and dried down notes.
4- Frankincense Oil
This oil has been known to prevent signs of aging, fade scars, and control acne. Its cellular regeneration properties are like the qualities of traditional retinol, but without the drying, sun sensitivity, or thinning of the skin like many retinol-based products cause.
Most people describe frankincense oil as having an earthy, woody, piney, or balsamic scent while at the same time being soft, sweet, and citrusy.
5- Neroli Oil
Citrus-derived essential oils like neroli (which comes from the flower of the orange tree), help aid in the absorption of vitamin C even though they don’t actually contain any.
Therefore, when used in combination with Vitamin C, it is very helpful for darkened areas of skin. Neroli oil’s scent is generally described as citrusy, floral, green, and slightly bitter.
6- Chamomile Oil
This has a fantastic naturally-occurring ingredient called Azulene (also in Blue Tansy), which is highly reparative. It’s calming and cell-renewing, so it helps fight damage and regenerate darkened areas of the skin in more even tones.
Roman Chamomile has a sweet straw and apple-like aroma, while German Chamomile has an intensely sweet, warm, herbaceous aroma with sweet tobacco-like undertones.
DIY Ways To Use Essential Oils For Armpits
Armpit Detox Spray
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 1 tsp of Jojoba carrier oil
- 2 drops of Tea Tree essential oil or another blend of your choice
- Spray bottle
- Mix all the ingredients of your DIY deodorant in the spray bottle.
- Shake well and spray a thin layer over your underarms and leave on for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off with a clean, warm, damp cloth.
- Shake well before each use.
Remember to always do a patch test before using this and any underarm treatments.
Also, keep in mind that this mixture has a shelf life of 1 week. It should not be reused after that time has passed. Make a fresh batch instead.
Natural Essential Oil Deodorant
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoon shea butter
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Essential oils of choice
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler. I make my own by placing a glass bowl over a pot of water.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot powder.
- Add essential oils of choice.
- Store in a glass mason jar with an air-tight lid or pour into an empty deodorant container.
- Use as necessary
You can use additional carrier oils or different combinations of moisturizing agents, different combinations of essential oils, and other added ingredients to make different variations of deodorants.
However, this will depend on your preference, your skin, and what you want to deliver to your skin.
Essential Oil Clay Mask
- Clay of your choice
- Water or Apply Cider Vinegar
- Essential Oil of your choice
- Mix the clay and the water (or apple cider vinegar) together until it forms a thick paste
- Add 2-3 drops of your chosen essential oil
- Apply the clay mask to your underarms after cleansing the area
- Leave it on for the recommended amount of time (depends on the clay being used)
- Gently wipe off using lukewarm water
- Moisturize the underarms after use
- Repeat weekly
Essential Oil Moisturizer
- Moisturizing agent of choice (oil, petroleum, cream, shea butter, beeswax, or any other suitable ingredient)
- Essential oil of choice
- Any other ingredient (vitamin e oil, aloe vera, etc)
- If your moisturizing agent is solid at room temperature, melt it down (if it is already liquid then that is fine)
- Add a few drops of your essential oil(s). This can be as much as you think is adequate for the amount of moisturizer you are making.
- Add all your other ingredients
- Shake or stir to combine well
- If your moisturizer is supposed to solidify, let it cool.
- When you are ready to use, apply to your underarms in a think layer
Remember to always patch test your skin before spreading any treatment all over the area.
Best Carrier Ingredients To Use With Essential Oils For Armpits
The best carrier oils are usually the ones that:
- Moisturize the skin
- Soften the skin
- Support skin health
- Reduce the appearance of aged skin
- Protect skin’s moisture barrier
- Smoothen the skin
- Exhibit antioxidant properties
Great Carrier Oil Recommendations
A few great carrier oils I have come across include:
- Argan Organic Carrier Oil – Virgin
- Chia Seed Organic Carrier Oil – Extra Virgin
- Coconut Organic Carrier Oil – Extra Virgin
- Olive Organic Carrier Oil (Extra Virgin)
- Sesame Seed – Virgin Organic Carrier Oil